My packing list has been honed over the years. It has everything I need and nothing I don't. Most of it stays packed in 2-3 clear plastic bins. I like clear ones so I can see what's inside. If a piece of gear craps out on a hunt, it gets repaired or replaced immediately so I have plenty of time to test and evaluate the repair or replacement before the next season starts.

The packing list comes from the notes that I make after a hunt so I don't forget anything that I learned. Topics for notes include:
  • Hunt name, location, and dates
  • Packing list
  • Narrative: Describe what happened in chronological order.
  • What new non-firearms gear did you use on this trip? How well did it work? Would you use it again?
  • What gear might help on future hunts in this area?
  • Describe the performance of the guns/loads your party used and speculate on improvements.
  • Describe the performance of the sights your party used and speculate on improvements.
  • Describe likely shots in the area where you hunted. Note terrain, vegetation, likely response of game, and any other conditions that might affect shooting.
  • Describe gun handling skills that hunters need for this specific hunt. What drills might help improve them?
  • What do hunters new to this area need to know? What drills could help them develop the skills they need?
  • Describe and justify any firearms modifications you think necessary.
  • Describe your physical preparation for this hunt and suggest improvements.
  • Describe your hunting strategy and speculate on improvements.
  • Describe your tactics and speculate on improvements.
  • Describe your maps, aerial imagery, and related equipment. Suggest improvements.
  • Describe the food you took and suggest improvements.
  • Describe any other planning or research that might improve future hunts in this area.
  • Why did this hunt succeed/fail? How could you improve your chances?
  • Other lessons learned
  • To Do List for next year

Every day and especially around the fire at night, I take a few minutes to make notes. I also make notes as I drive home and as I clean up gear, process meat, etc. I write the report within a couple of days so I don’t forget anything.

I often hunt with guys who have varying levels of experience so this helps me learn from their successes and failures as well as my own.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 10/01/20.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.