I have been using, building and modifying my lists for decades. I have several different basic master lists for different hunting formats. The master lists have everything I might conceivably need for that type of hunt. Then, as I plan for each hunt that year, I take the master list of that type and pare it down to what's appropriate for that particular hunt. So for example, the hunt types:
- Driving to the hunt in my truck, hunting out of a hotel or friend's home.
- Driving to the hunt in my truck, camping.
- Driving to the hunt in my truck, then backpacking.
- Flying airline to the hunt. (Hotel, friend's home, backpacking or camping are essentially interchangeable when you fly there on a plane - I can carry about as much as they'll let me check, LOL)
For each of the above there is the centerfire rifle, muzzleloader, or archery option. All that gear is on the master lists and I delete as required for each hunt.
I reckon if I had horses there'd be other subcategories if they were coming along, but I don't.
I'm not smart enough to work excel, so my lists are all in word.
I don't know what I'd do without these lists.

Cheers,
Rex

EDIT: Well there is one more option - just hunting from the house, but sadly not many of my hunts are like that, though I did drive all of 4 minutes to the trailhead I climbed to kill my Coues Deer last year. For these it's just grab the rifle and backpack, throw in water and sandwich, and go! I envy those who can just hunt from home. I live in AZ, but several years ago, when my late Dad was 73 years old, he climbed up in a tree 100 yards from his house in NC and killed two bucks with his bow in the same evening. I thought that was about the coolest thing ever. Pretty sure he didn't even take a sandwich!

Last edited by TRexF16; 10/04/20.