Originally Posted by okie john
My packing list has been honed over the years. It has everything I need and nothing I don't. Most of it stays packed in 2-3 clear plastic bins. I like clear ones so I can see what's inside. If a piece of gear craps out on a hunt, it gets repaired or replaced immediately so I have plenty of time to test and evaluate the repair or replacement before the next season starts.

The packing list comes from the notes that I make after a hunt so I don't forget anything that I learned. Topics for notes include:
  • Hunt name, location, and dates
  • Packing list
  • Narrative: Describe what happened in chronological order.
  • What new non-firearms gear did you use on this trip? How well did it work? Would you use it again?
  • What gear might help on future hunts in this area?
  • Describe the performance of the guns/loads your party used and speculate on improvements.
  • Describe the performance of the sights your party used and speculate on improvements.
  • Describe likely shots in the area where you hunted. Note terrain, vegetation, likely response of game, and any other conditions that might affect shooting.
  • Describe gun handling skills that hunters need for this specific hunt. What drills might help improve them?
  • What do hunters new to this area need to know? What drills could help them develop the skills they need?
  • Describe and justify any firearms modifications you think necessary.
  • Describe your physical preparation for this hunt and suggest improvements.
  • Describe your hunting strategy and speculate on improvements.
  • Describe your tactics and speculate on improvements.
  • Describe your maps, aerial imagery, and related equipment. Suggest improvements.
  • Describe the food you took and suggest improvements.
  • Describe any other planning or research that might improve future hunts in this area.
  • Why did this hunt succeed/fail? How could you improve your chances?
  • Other lessons learned
  • To Do List for next year

Every day and especially around the fire at night, I take a few minutes to make notes. I also make notes as I drive home and as I clean up gear, process meat, etc. I write the report within a couple of days so I don’t forget anything.

I often hunt with guys who have varying levels of experience so this helps me learn from their successes and failures as well as my own.

Okie John

I make lists. But this is over the top.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.