180 grain 8MM GMX from an 8X57 carbine. Muzzle velocity at about 2525 FPS. Shot was at about 130 yards and it seems to work quite well, but one round is not a definitive test.

Rag-horn bull hit mid chest from down hill, shooting up. Bullet exited through the shoulder blade on the other side. Elk ran steeply downhill and piled up about 40 yards from where it was hit Exit was about 1-3/4" in diameter. My rifle and my ammo, but I was only along for the hunt to pack meat. Young man (16) on his first elk hunt and wanted something larger then his 243, so I loaned him my 8X57. We were both pleased with the results. So that is my ONLY experience with actually seeing one work, but it was a very good hit and good kill.

I expect similar actions with about any GMX that impacts at 2000 FPS or more. Larger and heavier ones will go deeper and do more damage than lighter smaller ones of course, but if I were to guess, I would say 95% weight retention or more is likely normal, and like about all solid expanding bullets, I would not expect great results if impacts are below 2000 FPS.

But I bet for the fast rifles (MVs of 2750 FPS and faster) it will be a very good line of bullets. Probably be excellent from those with MVs of 3100 and faster.

Last edited by szihn; 10/07/20.