Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In a more general comment, I wonder what will happen with W760 now that Hodgdon owns Western Powders. In my experience Ramshot Big Game is similar to 414/760 in burn rate, but is cleaner burning and far less temperature sensitive.

I still keep some 760 around for handloading article, where published data shows it to be a good choice for a specific application. But I haven't chosen it for any of my own rifle handloads since Big Game appeared about 20 years ago.

JB, this is as good a time as any to ask a primer question. Do you use magnum primers with Big Game or at least a Win WLR? I have gotten away from Winchester primers and don't want to have to stock magnum primers. I know the WLR is supposed to be hotter than most if not all standard LR primers, more like a magnum of other brands. Will a CCI 200 be hot enough for use with Big Game? I think our resident Big Game expert, Pharmseller, uses Winchester Magnum WLRM primers in his 7MM08. I would be using it in a 243, 7mm08 and 7x57. Maybe a 6.5 Creedless. Thanks.

The WLR will work pretty well with Big Game as a "magnum primer" substitute, especially with smaller cartridges, say under .30-06. Have almost always seen a big difference in accuracy with the CCI 200 (and Federal 210), but it also depends on load density. The primer doesn't matter quite as much in a moderately compressed load.

But overall, I just go ahead and use magnum primers with Big Game, and have ever since it first appeared, when F215s cut the diameter of groups more than half in the .220 Swift. The last load I "worked up" with Big Game was with 140-grain Barnes TTSX's in my present 7mm-08, a lightweight semi-custom rifle on a tang-safety Ruger 77 action. Used 215s and 46.0 grains, and it grouped around .7 inch. It might have with CCI 200s or F210s too, but after 20 years of using Big Game I doubt it.

What do you have against magnum primers?

β€œMontana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck