Originally Posted by Mule Deer
But what I have found (and mentioned before here and there) is that the average handloading deer hunter is not just interested in actually killing deer, but how small his groups are compared to those of his handloader buddies. This is due to most handloading deer hunters spending far more time in their loading room and at the range than actually hunting. Thus the modern conviction that "half-minute" groups are necessary to kill a deer at 100 yards, much less 300.

But that's also why I write about how to handload for finer accuracy: That's what most readers want--along with higher velocity and a bunch of other stuff that also doesn't have all that much to do with killing deer, at least for 99% of us.

That has been my observation as well. Regardless of the cartridge or action type, the overwhelming concern most guys have is to own an accurate rifle that shoots under an inch.

Many years ago, when Re 15 and Varget first came out, I was testing them in my 303 and 308 rifles. They were far and away better than the 4895s, IMR4350, 4064 and 4320 with 150 to 180 gr bullets. Just prior to the release of Shooting and Reloading the 303 British, I said that most reloaders will find Re 15 and Varget are better performers. The old guard (the competition crowd) laughed at me. Acquaintances at the club brushed me off by saying, "Yeah, I'll have to try that some time..."

Then the magazines started featuring articles that showed how much better these powders were for most applications. As a result, hunters and shooters switched to these in F Class, milsurp matches and for hunting. I won several shoots with Re 15 powder, but I must have been lucky and the other shooters had an off week. :}

My point? People don't like to experiment and are slow to change. Hunters seem to think that they need sub MOA rifles and cartridges. It's laughable when you consider that few shoot beyond 200 yards. LR shooters excepted of course, but they are a minority.

Competition shooters are always tinkering, but the older ones are often loathe to try something new unless someone they trust has tried it and gives it the thumbs up.

Geez, I hope I don't turn into one of them! laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]