Accurate rifle's for back country use? What do you call accurate? In the right hands a 30-30 lever action might be just the thing. In other hands anything less that a full blown custom long range custom rifle might be needed, In the vast majority of situations a rifle grouping 1 1/2" at 100yds off a bench is more than accurate enough. Well only in theory I guess as I like my rifle's to give 1" or less. Most of mine go into much less than one inch and a rifle that won't make 1" generally goes down the road. My one exception is my 1903 Springfield built by Paul Jaeger in1945. The original owner shot a lot of military ammo through it with corrosive components and the barrel is pretty badly pitted. Still get 1 1/4" out of it and it was my elk rifle while I was still hunting. Killed three elk with it the longest shot just over 200yds! three shot's three down elk! But the rifle itself is fairly heavy, bit over 8#. About like carrying a 7# rifle and a backpack with 1# in it! I think if carrying an 8# or even 9# rifle is to much, you need to excerise in the off season. My 6.5x06 has got two elk with two shots and with the scope mounted and no ammo in it, it's right at 9#.