Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Tejano
RE: Noslers
I think the 200 and 220 30 caliber have the partition farther forward and the old 175 gr. 7mm semi spitzer did too, not sure about the current 175s. The LRAB if anything has the partition further back. One PH did not like Noslers, he claimed that the straight line penetration was not as good as some other bullets, but this may be based on a single bad experience with a giraffe rodeo.

No, the 200 and 220 .30 caliber Partitions do not have the partition moved forward. That said, they still penetrate great--and in my experience straight. One my own examples was a 6x6 elk I shot at 75 yards with a .300 Winchester Magnum and the 200. He stood quartering toward me, and the bullet landed where I aimed, in the big joint of the left shoulder--and exited toward the rear of the ribs on the right side. In a penetration test a few years ago Phil Shoemaker found the 220 Partition to penetrate deeper than any other .30 caliber bullet he tried--and he's tried a bunch.

The LRAB does not HAVE a partition, nor does the standard AccuBond. Instead the rear end of the jacket is bonded to the core. The jacket is also much lighter than standard AccuBonds, and I suspect the core might be a little softer as well. The LRABs are designed to expand all the way down to 1300 fps, the reason less of the core is bonded. In my experience they retain about as much weight as Hunting Ballistic Tips at closer ranges, around 50% give or take a little--which is also about like Hornady Interlocks.

in the standard AccuBonds enough of the core is to approximate the weight retention of Partitions of the same weight and caliber.Thus the heavier, larger AccuBonds are designed to retain a higher percentage of weight than the smaller ones. Of the few I've recovered of the larger AccuBonds, average weight retention has been in the 80-90% range, while smaller AccuBonds retain the typical 65-70% of smaller Partitions.

MD - This is the first time I've seen anything written on any construction differences between the LRABs and the standard ABs, so I greatly appreciate the information.

I do have some questions, if you wouldn't mind? Because of the lighter jacket and potentially softer core of the LRABs, what would be your opinion of using the 129gr. .264 LRAB in a 264 Win Mag for elk? Would you be more inclined to use the heavier 140gr LRAB or just simply default to the standard AB or even the Partition?

I've been working up some handloads with the 129gr. LRAB, but have had these questions running through my head of if I would really trust this bullet on elk and your comments made me question them even more. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!