As a side note:
When Ruger came out with the 375 and 416 Ruger shells I though it was going to be an overnight success and that I'd end up buying both chamber reamers very quickly. Outstanding idea on both shells and they fit in standard actions yet give classic ballistics.

Nope. I called that one wrong -----and I have no idea why it is that since they were introduced I have made 2 more 416 Taylors instead of the 416 Ruger, even though I "pitched" the Ruger to both customers. And so far I have not had even one request for a 375 Ruger. Talk about under appreciated cartridges! Ballistics that have a century-long track record of excellent success, without the need of spending a lot of cash on a "magnum action" and all available with no wildcatting either. But for some reason unknown to me, neither has taken off the way I thought they would or should.

When I made such a rifle I buy a "life-time supply" of brass for it as part of the bid on the job. With 416 Taylor I buy 500 cases of 458 Winchester and neck them all into 416 Taylors , so the customer has the dies, shell holder, and 500 piece of brass as soon as he or she picks up the gun. I would do the same thing with either of the Ruger shells (minus the neck forming)

Buying a 416 Ruger right out of the box is really a very good way to go, but I would secure at least 500 rounds of ammo and/or Brass before I bought the rifle. ( For my own guns I do the same thing with any caliber, even going to 308s and 30-06s --- just because I never trusted the idea that "it will always be here".)

Last edited by szihn; 11/08/20.