You are correct GSPfan. For a rifle that is to last a lifetime, it must be viewed as a lifelong investment.

500 rounds is probably more then needed for a reloader who may expect 12-20 loads per case, but they don't eat anything after you buy them, and in the event of selling the gun it can go to the #2 owner also set up for life.

For those that don't reload, setting the rifle with 500 rounds of ammo is likely going to last through every hunt they will have in the rest of their life including, a bit of practice before each hunt.

Considering the fate of many British and European guns made in the 20 through the 40s and hearing all the owners and those that inherited those guns, hearing the statement " I sure wish it had come with more ammo" is VERY common. In the case of a wildcat shell I think of it as vital. So when I made custom guns of that nature I wanted to be as sure as possible it was an investment that would not become useless (or even challenging to use) in the times after I am not around to support them.

In the cases of a custom order being placed and the cost quote covering all the bases, such an expense at the time of the commission is so much more valued many years down the road, and so the initial cost of the brass is fairly low, and long forgotten but the utility of the gun in 40-80 years is not diminished at all.

So getting 500 cases and a set of dies with a shell holder is NOT a bit foolish when ordering any custom rifle.

Last edited by szihn; 11/08/20.