There are 54 countries in Africa so you have to refine your question. A lot of northen african countries are arabic, as in middle eastern, not black so to speak and are generally more prosperous than the rest of the continent.

The rest is mostly black, there are often some white folks in the other countries. Usually very small amounts of business people, UN, or missionaries. South Africa the country, has quite a lot of whites. A lot of sub-saharan africa has poor living conditions. Life expectancies in some nations as low as 46 years. Africa also has the worst epidemics and disease, also a very high parasite load, partly due to their proximity to stock and herd animals.

I worked in several countries on the continent. A lot seemed to be laid out the same way. A couple big cities with semi-modern CBD or airport, the richer suburbs where all the business people lived, then surrounded by the older city( which looks like pictures of highrise from the 60's and 70's, you know the tiny windows in concrete look, which is when they were built), then outside the city rings of ever-decreasing standard slums. The first are brick slums, then wooden, then cardboard/tarpolin. Population density in the slums can reach hundreds of thousands a square mile, no plumbing, or power, familes in the poorer areas walk to water points, sewerage pits or huts. Very little penetration from outside, including the police, some are almost self governing entities.

You then often have poorly kept roads eminating to every corner of the country through shanty towns or tin cities. In between these smaller villages living to different levels of traditional or subsistence lifestyles. Wash , rinse, repeat for almost 40 countries. There are some exceptions but that is the african template. In Afghanistan despite the the war I felt people had some sort of structure and industry. Africa to me felt like it didnt know what its direction was.1.5 billion people on that continent now, 10x increase since WW2.

The peoples of Africa can be vastly different, even in the one country. Country borders were largely drawn by the old colonial powers. There can be dozens of ethnic groups in a single country, and the same ethnic group split across several countries where borders converge. The levels of peace in a country often depend how well they get on together. Some countries are very aggresive to travellers, a lot of no-go zones. But you find the same in any 3rd world country. Some peoples are quite welcoming. I enjoyed working in Ghana, despite being part of west africa, one of the roughest neighbourhoods. They were a former British colony, hadnt had a revolution in decades and despite government corruption the average person has respect for the rule of law. Saw quite a few mormon missionaries in Accra and Asamankasee two of the cites there.