Originally Posted by clintsfolly
Have been looking and thinking for a while that a drilling or Cape gun would be a be fun to have. I plan to use it mainly for deer hunting and shoot cast bullets. Knowing nothing about then what tips or info should I know before a I buy!

If you're going to shoot mostly cast bullets consider a more obsolescent rifle round like the 9,3X72R. It'll send out a cast bullet as fast as you'll be sending them with any chambering, and a 9,3X72R lessens the price/value. It's a capable round for deer out to about 150 yards with either jacketed bullets or hard cast. Avoid hammer drillings. While there are many good ones around, you'll find more loose guns. They're older and often built on very light frames.

Don't be afraid of 16 gauge guns with 65 mm chambers. A good tight boxlock gun will shoot 2 3/4" 1oz-1 1/8 oz field loads fine, contrary to the common wisdom. Also, the 8X57 JR (.318 diameter) rifle round is about the most common chambering found in affordable drillings. Ammo is readily available and inexpensive, and it's a capable big game killer.

Erich knows his combo guns, and he's spot on regarding buying a drilling that is already scoped.

Be sure when buying a drilling to do a "shake-test". Take the forend off, close the gun, and hold the grip and shake it. If there is any rattle or even slight movement detected pass on the gun. Look for stock cracks and oil soaked wood around the receiver. Make sure the barrels ring when tapped. A dull sound might be an indication of solder and rib problems. If the gun appears re-blued be sure it has been rust blued, not hot tanked.

These guns are relatively expensive, so be sure of what you're buying. MOST local gun shops have no clue as to what to look for regarding combination guns, but many will try to act like experts. Erich and others here know their away around these fine guns, and they'll be happy to lend their advice.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”