What they said. Some very sound advice. Good working order is the secret. There is nothing more expensive than a free dog. A cheap drilling might be a close second.
Norbert Kulp's book on drilling is a good background read. Perusing the German Gun Collectors forum and website can also be helpful. Maybe become a member. They are good and sharing people.
Think about how you hunt and what you hunt. For my hunting, I've settled on midbores with an auxillary insert in one shotgun barrel. One has a 22 mag einstecklauf the other a 5.6 x50R full length. Paired with a 16 guage and a 7 or 8x57, there isn't much that they won't address. The versatility is hard to match. I used to love the 9.3x74, but it's too much for my hunting now. You will need to find the caliber and bore that will match your needs
The drawback is that drilling doctors are few and far between. They are also busy, so repairs take a very long time. Did i mention good working order?
I've come to prefer 1" scopes set low on my guns. The europeans often have scopes set to be shot with your head up. Many European scopes are not 1 inch, so you cant do a simple swap. I don't like, but have learned to accept greener safeties. Both my combos and one of my drillings fit like an old pair of buckskin gloves, they go with me more often. I cringe every time one of them gets strapped onto the back of a fourwheeler.
The smell of Ballistol is as addictive as Hoppes No. 9.
My only regret is that I didn't get one 30 or 40 years earlier!
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.