Between my wife, myself and father in law, we only drew one antelope doe license this year. So, to make it worthwhile, we dragged the boat 7 hours out there, knowing that the hunt may be over quickly if I do my part. When weighing how to put some challenge into the hunt, I debated trying to get one with my FIL's .41 mag S&W or a T/C contender rechambered for .445 Supermag. Instead, I went with the challenge of letting my four year old tag along on the stalk. Thinking he would blow a few stalks, and we'd be able to spend all day hunting, I was wrong, and I got a doe on the first stalk. He was about 50 yards behind me with my wife, while Allison was in the truck. Kristofer said it was the loudest thing he ever heard in his life. Katie got my daughter out of the truck to come pose for photos and play with the antelope while we quartered her. After spending 30 minutes poking, prodding and petting the antelope and stumbling around the sage, she managed to fall in a little cactus just as we were loading up the quarters. So I got to hike a naked crying baby with cactus spines in her ass along with two quarters back to the truck.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

We got to spend the rest of the weekend fishing and boating a new lake, catching several walleye and some good sized rainbows. Made for a beautiful place to camp with practically no one there at night.

more to come...

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter