I happen to be visiting where I was raised right now. My cousins stay right on their old home place thats been in their family for generations and I stay there.
My other side of the family lived only a mile or so from where I am at now and I drive by it at least a few times while I am here. Not much left of it as over the decades many of the out buildings have been torn down. The house and the main wooden barn is still there but its not the grand old well kept place I remember.

Both families had pretty much self sustaining farms complete with shops , crops ,livestock , orchards and large gardens. Both still have large wood plots and hedgerows where small game could be hunted. Now we deer hunt there. There were no deer around when I was growing up and I never thought I would be back here 45 years later hunting.

It was a bustling prosperous small community back then. A great mix of local businesses of retail, banks, insurance and realestate , agriculture and factories. Now not so much. I think the last dry cleaners closed up about five years ago.
They said once you leave you cant ever really go back home and in many respects that is true.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.