Originally Posted by MTDan
If you just want to hunt with one, not necessarily build one yourself, look for either a commercial rifle (FN, Husqvarna, Zastava) or find one already sporterized that you like. You'll come out WAY ahead vs building one.

There are some really nice utilitarian rifles out there for low prices.

I made a living customizing Mausers. If you just want to hunt with a Mauser or try one out, I mostly agree with MTDan. Check out the recent thread on JC Higgins model 50s. There are a ton of (if you shop carefully) inexpensive factory Mauser 98 based rifles to be had. I tell my friends to find one of these rather than a "sporterized" milsurp. There are too many fubar conversions of milsurps. So, unless you know what to look for, avoid them. If you are well versed in Mauser conversions, then yes, a careful buyer can find some very nice custom rifles at bargain prices. In the last year or so I picked up a nice FN made .270 and Interarms Mk X in .30-06, each for under $400. I also scored a Santa Barbara .30-06 for $150, I made it up into an awesome open sight truck gun.

I suggest deciding how much you want to spend then deciding how you want to proceed. If its a full on Custom rifle you want, then decide if you want to build on a Milsurp action or commercial, and buy an unmolested example. As EFW says, the Dumoulin incorporates many features people want in a custom Mauser; 3 position safety, scope ready, modern steel, etc.