Thoroughly enjoyed this Thread & would like to see it continue!

My own 'opinionator' net, net thoughts. Shadows of the 'of mid-century past peak', milsurp sporters, yet alive and retaining 'market niche'! Viable guns in their properly appreciated nesting grounds... The vast majority, from decent field guns to simply practical rough & ready truck guns. As a whole, best evaluated as 'moderate to minimal investment' - 'practical category' econo-investments. Yet too, tending toward objectively 'seedy rep' as as over-hyped, over-priced "custom" pieces where term misapplied at best/misleading at worst! Dang few where the 'beating heart' doesn't fundamentally remain..."Misrurp Sporter"! Momentary, due regard necessary for a small exceptional class of justifiably "custom" iterations as expressions of gunsmithing art.
The unique milsurp heritage & advantage is yet 'generally' abundance of parts; parts which are rough & ready, battlefield proven for most part. Something about bearing such a rifle to range or wilderness! "Dependability factor" ndefinitely ot to be underestimated! A "battle ready/proven rifles definitely not reflect the latest/greatest technology, but couple of decades post manufacture "latest & greatest 'whizzbang' models; firms bankrupt & gone, their broken "thingie" may be unobtainium or arriving in velvet lined case from some eBay seller at $$$!

The "vintage" factory sporters, multiple niches as some well into "collectible stratums". Oberndorf Mauser factory sporters; "pre '64 Win Model 70 rifles; exemplary of a wider class of "valuable". Many Posts here, attesting to the happy invalidity of "getting what you pay for". Some great rifles, yet under-radar offering nice bonus. I personally believe the prior righteous JC Higgins, Sears Model 50 value-bubble has broken. Their nifty quality 'rep' emerged. To me yet a market "hunter killer stealth sub", the noted Husqvarna line. Somehow... The disparity remaining. Great FN and Husky based actions, entirely reasonable prices! They are the happy new Sears 'sleeper replacement', yet better! Considerably more factory chamberings & choice of two great CRF actions; oh my! smile Of many super bolt rifles, these to me the yet "outstanding "bargains".

As we write here, a huge, happy variety of quality bolt rifles yet 'out there' for the plucking. A hundred years of such plus! I'll personally take 'real steel and wood' to most any 'aluminum alloy and plastic', any day. Due regard and not to 'dis', the latter. Just from 'fondling' to 'fielding', one 'old man's choice!

Best, Do Keep Safe & Happy Holidays!
John

Last edited by iskra; 12/13/20.