Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by Seafire
I normally load 4198 and RL 7 for what I call kid loads, because that is who I normally load them for..

So that being considered, if your shoulder needs relief, 2250 fps to say 2400 fps, you have a load that will be more than up
to the task at hand....you are in the 300 Savage - 30/40 Krag operating range...

cheers,
seafire

seafire, I savvy everything you said - I can follow and agree with your logic.

The reason for the recoil reduction is not for "shoulder relief"....it is for brain relief. After having 3 major brain surgeries last year, I have become very recoil sensitive.

I went out Tuesday with my heavy barrel 223. I can shoot it well...and can tolerate the recoil.

BUT you put that 30-06 in my hand, and after 6 shots - my head is pounding - pressure inside my head rises - causing the top of my head to go numb.

My real issue is I am trying to prove to the Doctors and to myself that I am past this trauma in my life.. Apparently the Drs. are right - and my body confirms it.

If I get another chance to hunt this year, I'm lugging the heavy 223. It shoots sub MOA out to 100 yards with 55gr. Barnes TX bullets. And as you pointed out, 90% of my shots over the last 45 years have been in the 100 yards or less zone.

If God allows, I am going to hunt again. If I go out - I wish to go out living.

Thanks for the input.

GB

If or until things change, your 223 will do the job admirably. No deer requires a 30 caliber bullet, and the 22 cals will kill (quickly) far bigger critters than many guys are willing to admit, just with chest shots.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.