Originally Posted by efw

Heart and tenderloins are eaten fresh never frozen.

Same

Originally Posted by TheKid

What do you do with the kidneys? Indians around here eat beef kidneys but they usually eat them raw with a little salt, I’m fairly adventurous but I’ll pass on that.

I’ve tried them a few ways and the only way worth a damn so far:

Deviled Kidneys

I use this English chap’s recipe with a few modifications. Firstly I ditch the accent. I also sauté some mushrooms, the brown ones are best and if you can find the baby brown ones use those. Sauté them in a little bacon fat and olive oil or butter with salt and pepper. As soon as they are soft remove and set aside. The mushrooms add volume, have a similar texture to the kidney and help cut the sharp flavor of the kidney. Taste of kidneys is similar to liver but texture is like mushrooms

Then I use the English chap’s recipe and add back the mushrooms right after the flambé. For whisky I use Famous Grouse but any light clean whisky would be fine. Anything Irish, Jameson, would be great. I think a good clean bourbon would work, as would brandy.

I use a regular heavy cream. I use Coleman’s English Mustard. also use a toaster to make the toast like a regular bastard

When done right this recipe is dynamite and is fun to do

Elk kidneys, cut lengthwise and remove white stuff, then I cut into cubes. I also soak them in milk for 1-24 hours if possible. Then follow the recipe:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Reducing after adding cream

The fresh parsley on top is a nice touch