Had a bunch of farmers, in my neighborhood, who would gather at a tiny, tiny community (five houses and a big grain elevator) to play poker. There was a little general store/gas station that had an old kitchen table in the corner where they played. The game never really ended. It was postponed for periods but it would always resume. The stakes were always pretty much pocket change and no one cared whether they won or lost. Then it changed. Not sure who decided to make the stakes higher, but they got pretty serious. Finally, one guy had to turn over the deed to an irrigated quarter to another player and another guy blamed the game for his divorce. The local sheriff locked the door and told them he'd start putting people in jail if he heard the game was up and going again.

I won't buy a pickle card or watch the power ball drawing, I gambled on farming, too long to think that I can win.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie