Bunch of California (SF, mostly) Eyetlians have Bristol Bay drift fishing permits. Probably 30-40 in all. They all tie up together at the same dock-location in Naknek, side by side. That section of the dock is known as Little Italy. They don't make anyone else feel especially welcome.

The one season I worked as a deckhand out there, I was waiting in the terminal for my airplane ride back to Anchorage and overheard a dad and 3 of his sons talking. All with thir own boats and permits.

Seems the fourth son (not present) had lost his permit AND boat at the table the night before.

"I don't think Gino ought to gamble when he's drinking" (or maybe it was the other way around)....

Understatement? Probably a quarter million right there, plus whatever season's earnings he pissed away prior to thowing the permit and boat title on the table. Hopefully on different hands at least.

I love nickle, dime, quarter, 3 raise limit. Made $34.60 one night starting with $3. Probably lost 10 times that over 40 years - I don't play often, or well, but I like it - and that can afford. Good entertainment.

I did have one night tho, I could not lose. Regularly drew to inside straights, a couple times needing two and getting them - got one Royal Flush. I maye lost 4-5 hands all night.

Won 10 boxes of matchsticks off those two suckers. smile. Twice. We each started with 5 boxes, I had to refund theirs to keep playing. I still think they were cheating.

When you have lost your pre-set limit, stop!

Last edited by las; 12/22/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.