Re which call:
1. If you are fairly new to hand calls, a closed reed is super easy, virtually zero learning curve. With a higher pitched cottontail voice, good for bobcats, it also makes excellent bird distress if you trill your tongue. Many brands will work. Rainshadow makes custom beauties that perform. For over 20 years I only owned one predator call, a closed reed Weems that called more than 20 species.

2. Open reed calls are harder to master, though not really hard for most people. A middle of the road open reed can make a wide variety of sounds, from rodent whimpers to doe in heat to rabbit/fawn distress to coyote vocals to elk cow talk and bugles. I have one around my neck all the time when outdoors.

3. Remote controlled electronics are the drag racers of predator calling, from jalopies to sci fi machines. FoxPro dominates the market with lots of good options, kind of like Macdonald's. I just bought an Icotec and am trying it, and my grandsons love the Lucky Duck. It would be nice if you could hunt with a friend who has an electronic before you buy.