Our JRT was named Rascal. It fit. Jacks have a certain intensity, or intelligence in their eyes. I have not seen any comparison in other breeds.

Neighbor 1/2 mile away had a JRT named Charlie. Charlie got in the habit of hiking up to our house each morning and again in the afternoon, play with Rascal for an hour or so, then jog back home. Funny as hell.

Rascal was about three or four months old and was lounging on the couch. I sat down beside him and scooted him to the side. He growled. I slapped him on the ass. He nipped at me. I snatched him up and spanked his butt with my hand. He then went after my hand, snarling and biting.

So I picked him up, threw him down on his back, and grabbed him by the throat. I held him that way for several minutes. After that, I was alpha until he died.

Rascal was absolutely wonderful with our grandbabies. He would fuss and cry, and run the fence if the kids were around but outside the fence. He ran and played nonstop with the kids. The kids would become exhausted and take turns running with the dog. After the kids went home, Rascal would go to bed and sleep for hours.

He had the strongest predatory drive of any dog I ever knew. He absolutely loved fighting with raccoons. Was death on pocket gophers or marmots. And yes, he thought he weighed 500 lbs.

Many Jacks can be trained to not molest cats, but it takes some doing. Our cats survived because they all stopped and rolled over onto their backs when ever Rascal tried to chase them. No pursuit.....no fun.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.