Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Not all are created equal, nor all paint cheap. If'n I really pushed my search distance envelope, due to work schedule realities, I'm looking at Seattle, Portland, Boise, Winnemuca (lol), SLC, Denver, Bismarck? So, I suppose keeping an open mind, not a strong point, more of a goal.

As an aside.

Starrett's story some may find interesting.

Copy, paste goes to a pdf download. Give up trying to offer it otherwise. Ol' Laroy got'r done.

http://origin-www.starrett.com/docs/default-source/other-downloadable-resources/the-starrett-story-(1216).pdf?sfvrsn=2

I have a good set of Starret micrometers I inherited from my FIL, among a bunch of other tools he gave me a bunch of years ago when he retired from being a toolroom machinist. I've picked up a few more, but my hobby status keeps me content with slightly more affordable brands these days.... wink

Check out craigslist, ebay, and Facebook marketplace for Seattle and Portland at the least. I live just out of Portland and there are usually tons of machine tools available here at different times for fairly reasonable prices. Seattle even more so with the Aerospace industry up there and lots of hobbyists. Can't help you with the other places.....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.