Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by 219 Wasp
I have tried RL26 in my 270win and 243. Very good speeds with published loads with 150 and 105 gr bullets respectively. Would like to try it in my 257WBY but alliant has nothing published. I could start with my RL22 loads and go from there. Also, hodgdon has some likely suspects with some of their newer slower IMR powders but has published nothing for this cartridge.

IMR7977 does pretty well in the .257 Weatherby, which I found out by noticing that its burn-rate is apparently pretty close to H1000, the powder I use in my .257 Weatherby. So I tried 7977, and did well, but wasn't quite as accurate as H1000.

Two things about RL-26: It tends not to show traditional "pressure signs" even when exceeding published maximums quite a bit, more so than most other powders. Plus, even though 26 is fairly cold-resistant, pressure can jump quickly in hot weather.

Pressure in really hot conditions is what Rio7 was reporting with RL-26, his gun getting pretty hot, riding in a South Texas Jeep.

RL-17 is said not to show pressure signs until it’s way over. So is ‘26 a bit like ‘17 in that regard?

DF