Wrestlers can get messed up as well. The right combination is know how to effectively punch and block and then be able to finish it when it gets to the ground. Northern style Kung Fu and Kempo Karate both stress strikes more than kicks. Dirty boxing with punches, jabs and elbows is cash. In a real fight you want to get low, start with percussion and blocking and then get them off their feet. Most of the best people I know avoid conflicts when they can, but end them quickly if there is no alternative. Setups really do work. I would take a baseball bat over a knife if things got serious every time. Knife fights are the worst and I would rather run my fat ass then to get sliced up by a little filipino who wanted carve me up like a ham. That being said a good reverse or hip lift from a duckunder which is a Greo-Roman wrestling move will end most fights.

I would say that as we get older, we think deadlier and are more likely just to pop a cap into an opponent because ego has left the building. That being said about 6 months ago a dimwit wanted to try to intimidate me at the local Holiday(its what we have up here) in front of his girl. I picked up a can of dinty more beef stew put it right up next to his head in his space and asked him if he was hungry. He left like a coward. It is the cowards that you always have to watch. Weapons of all sorts are good.

If I was living in Lower 48 I would go to Dog Brothers or to Kali/Silat. We can get by getting in close when we are young and fight for long enough to get the right position or situation to win when we are young, quick and limber but as we age we need tools to make up for the loss of cardio VO Max capacity.