Originally Posted by Boise
I spent two years going twice a week to training. The best martial art is the one you practice. Practice and conditioning will win most fights and I have been in hundreds. We had to fight every class several times. With that said, some times winning a fight can get you hurt more than loosing. There has only been a couple of fights away from the school and those not trained or practiced commonly hold there breath so all you need to do is defend for about 15 seconds and they're out of gas. If you hear controlled breathing you'll want to consider other options.

I have to agree. It sounds like you learned well in that investment of hard work.
Most bad guys don't have any training, although they might be strong, desperate and armed. Training takes self discipline and that works to the advantage of the disciplined.....which most thieves and criminals are not.
Even a non combat related sport art can be very effective against an unarmed tough street punk with little skills. Like you said, cardio is extremely important. The younger and multiple opponents have the clear advantage in those cases.
This changes as the numbers increase and the elements of surprise take us off guard. I've never been in a fair fight. The others have always been armed or struck a sucker "punch", etc.
All said and done, the good Lord protected me through it all these years. I'm probably not the only one who can say that.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 01/13/21.