Here's what I predict will happen now.

First, if you have a .270 WSM you lose. They'll stop making ammo for it.

Second a bunch of gun writers, including maybe Spomer, will be invited to a place with semi-tame elk and issued 6.8 Western rifles and ammo. The rifles will go "bang," the elk will fall down, and the gun writers will write articles about the new 6.8 being better than sliced bread. The articles will basically say "gush, gurgle" and, coincidentally, ads for the new 6.8 will appear in the same issues of the magazines. Expect to see it on the covers of magazines.

Winchester will offer clerks at gun stores prizes and incentives for selling the new rifle/caliber. However, in 5 or 10 years, the 6.8 will simply disappear. You'll be up a creek unless you've bought a lifetime supply of brass, and reload. Why? Because there is only so much shelf space. New cartridges that are basically indistinguishable in performance from all the others will not last. Just look at all the .30 caliber cartridges introduced 10 or so years ago which are now as good as dead. Or most of the WSSMs and SAUMs.

Some company which is not Winchester or Remington will start selling .270s and .270 Weatherbys with 1:8 twists. Some other small company will start selling ammo for them with long heavy bullets. The ammo boxes will contain a notice saying, "warning, do not use in rifles with 1:10 twists."

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.