My son had a difficult start, he married young but got hit with adult onset type 2 diabetes and cancer right out of the starting gate. Apparently that wasn’t what she signed up for and she left. Got back with her high school boyfriend. But a year after my son and her got married they did have a little girl together before the break-up.

My own 20 year marriage was failing at that time (nothing I wanted) and all of the grandparenting duties on our side fell upon me. The other set of grandparents are good people and my son’s Ex has never used access to the child as a weapon, custody was split almost evenly, my job has been to remain on good terms with everyone involved for the sake of the child.

Ten years later my son is in a stable relationship with a decent woman but doesn’t want to marry again, she does not want children but they spend a great deal of time looking after her niece, who has become a de-facto little sister to my granddaughter.

Things didn’t work out for my son’s Ex with the guy she left my son for, largely due to the deficiencies in his character. She recently bought a house and I’ve been helping her move along with her mom and brother. I actually feel bad for her, she wasn’t planning on being alone in her thirties.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744