Originally Posted by joken2

Wife's dad had a pretty serious stroke in his mid 70s. He had a formal 'Do Not Resuscitate' order. Neurosurgeon told us 'what you see now is the best he's ever going to get and from here on your dad is only going to get worse'.

Wife moved him from hospital to a local nursing home and stayed with her dad every day from early morning to bedtime at night hand feeding him herself and making sure he was properly cared for, medicated and kept clean. This went on for around six months until when he went on Hospice and we moved him to a spare bedroom in our home until he passed not long after.

Her dad could swallow soft food and liquids on his own but took more time to eat than short handed nursing home staff had for the number of patients they had to feed and care for in the allotted time, plus the stroke left him with no feeling on one side of his face so he could possibly choke on any unswallowed food still on the paralyzed side.

I'll add too that I thought I knew what so-called 'quality of life' meant but, after watching my wife's dad during his last days, I learned that it may not mean the same for everyone.

In his last few weeks my wife's dad would sleep all but a very few hours.

When he did wake up he would happily tell of having been visiting with long deceased family members and old friends. They, including himself, were all young, healthy and happy in these 'visits'. He'd recount names of who all was there, things said and done - some funny, etc.

Dreams or true spiritual visits I can't say, but I do believe they were some of his happiest, most peaceful moments, both after as well as before the debilitating stroke that finally took him.