Originally Posted by KFWA
I will be there the month before you

Depending on when you go in June, you might not be hitting the Going to the Sun Road (the only road in the park). Just casual averaging in my head, looks like the 3rd week of June is when it typically is cleared of snow and open for business. I don't know if they 'partially' open or not, some others will be in the know on that. Not sure how the current snowpack is, or forecasted for the rest of the winter either.

PDF of historical opening days-

https://www.fodors.com/community/at...open-close-dates_press-kit-6-26-2017.pdf

Quick grab from the last 20 years-

2000 May 27
2001 June 7
2002 June 28
2003 May 30
2004 May 30
2005 May 22
2006 June 23
2007 July 1
2008 July 2
2009 June 26
2010 June 24
2011 July 13
2012 June 19
2013 June 21
2015 June 19
2016 June 16

11 of us stayed in a VRBO west of Whitefish 7 or 8 miles on a creek a few years ago. House and property was nice, but not a quick trip to the park. We did do some hiking on National Forest Land though that had no crowds to deal with.

Whitefish is contantly said to be yuppie/liberal-ville on here, and rightfully so. But going to town to buy some coffee or eat at a restaurant won't turn you in to one, other than financially supporting them is bad...

A friends family owns the KOA at West Glacier. We got on the 'red jammer bus tour' there at the KOA. It was a super nice facility. My family enjoyed the bus tour (travels the length of the Going to The Sun Road and back. We saw deer, elk, bears, goats, moose, and I'm sure some others from the seat of the bus. Driver did say it was not typical to see that much from the bus though.

The same family had a son that was a Park Ranger Forest Service LEO (edited per BGG's local knowledge) killed by a grizzly as he was riding his bicycle outside of the park a few years ago. Grizzly came out of the timber, knocked him off his bike, and killed him. Was all over the national news when it happened.

Hiked the Hi-Line trail one day, some guys passing us going opposite direction said they'd just seen a grizzly cross the trail in front of us 20 minutes before. I was glad the ham sandwiches were in the wifes backpack....

For our hiking, we parked at the visitors center, then grabbed a shuttle to take us to the trailhead and back after the hiking was done. Shuttles are constantly running up and down the road.

Last edited by Cheesy; 01/19/21.