Originally Posted by Mule Deer
About the only real advantage of the 9.3x62 is that it's the legal minimum for larger dangerous game in some (not all) African jurisdictions. Also, if you hunt in Africa, factory 9,3x62 ammo is fairly likely to be stocked in local stores, and .35 Whelen isn't--just in case you get separated from your handloads.

Have also generally found the 9.3x62 to be more accurate, but not enough to make any difference on big game shot at typical .35/9,3 ranges.

My experience is what Steve suggests, that if you need more power and bullet weight than the .35 Whelen and 9.3x62 provide (or think you do), then you need to step up to a .40+ caliber cartridge with quite a bit more bullet weight. The one I used for years was the .416 Rigby. But after buying and using my first 9.3x62 almost 20 years ago, it filled the "medium bore" slot so well that I rarely hunted with my .338 Winchester or .375 H&H.

I have to agree with John here as my 9.3 x 62 has replaced all my mediums, including .338s, .35s and .375s. Where I want or need more it's my .458 Win. with handloads.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus