Originally Posted by BKinSD
Lots of statements about what you don't want. I don't really understand what you DO want. If you can put that into words, I can give some guidance.

Fair enough.

Just wanting to have an opportunity to walk some fields with my brother and a friend. See enough wild birds to stay alert. Pivot corners, fence rows, ditches, smaller fields, and shelter belts.

Probably just my brother and I. Maybe one more person for a total of 3. No fuss, no muss. We'll be sober, on time, on site, and ready to go.
Probably 3 hunting days. Just pheasant and perhaps quail. No waterfowl planned unless hunting near cattails and it is suggested we get waterfowl stamps and steel shot.

Local person who knows the area, laws, and practices. Someone who does a great job with a solid reputation. Open to just about anything from a high school kid looking to make a few easy bucks to an old farmer who wants a little cash without worrying about his gates and livestock.

Perhaps a guide just starting out who knows their stuff but hasn't got the online reviews and presence yet. I'd love to hunt behind a good dog, but that's not a deal breaker.

Point us in the right direction on the correct field and let us find birds.

Reasonable but fair pricing. Some things I've seen online are $500 (or more) per person each day. I realize you are paying for knowledge and expertise, but I just can't afford those prices. Neither should someone be expected to babysit a group all day for $50.

I am inclined to support local business, motels and restaurants in favor of chain stores. So if a person knows a great motel or restaurant that doesn't get the attention they deserve, I'd be happy to support them too.
Small towns without the hype are definitely worthy of consideration.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10