Originally Posted by BKinSD
A few thoughts in return:

No one worth spending your time and effort with is taking you hunting, without dogs. Why would you go without? I can't imagine. I think I'd pass over that thought.
No need to worry about waterfowl. The licensing requirements are too tough to navigate unless it's your primary goal. Let that one go, too.
Reasonable but fair, is set by the landowner, so you'll have to pay what they ask. You'll spend a lot of time trying to find a bargain, and then it won't be one.
What's your definition of small town? No shortage of them. To me that's fewer than 1000 people.
I can't think of a farm which isn't a multi-million dollar operation. How important is your $100/day? IDK.

Ok. I appreciate the help and interest. I honestly do. Just trying to not waste someone's time by babysitting just a couple of guys when they could be more efficient with larger groups. Also, larger groups don't want to waste their time on small plots packed shoulder to shoulder.

Dogs are great. If that's the norm, so be it. Probably akin to a fishing guide without a boat isn't the fishing guide you'd want. It's just not a deal breaker for me.

My idea of small town is comparable to yours. At the very most, a stoplight or two. Cafe, diner, restaurant, or bar and grill somewhere within 15 miles shouldn't be a problem.

I certainly don't want to insult a landowner by being cheap. Value to both is my goal, but it is a moving figure. If higher rates but stellar integrity is a better value, then I'm willing to pay.

If, in your opinion a reputable outfitter would be best, whom do recommend, and what types of services are essential for you?

Found a few links from the South Dakota Game and Fish office. https://gfp.sd.gov/plan-your-adventure/ Is this a good starting place in your opinion? If the outfitters are indeed reputable, it's just a matter of comparison between them. If some of them aren't, I'd rather not find out the hard way.

Some sites in the Chamberlain area such as "Wingmaster Lodge" for example simply has a facebook page with little or no detail or pricing. "Rooster Ridge Hunting Lodge" has rates of $2195 per hunter that includes pool table, hot tub, and maid service. "Allen's Hunting and Fishing Guide Service" is $1150 per hunter but doesn't provide meals. Just based on these three alone, I'm inclined towards Allen's. This is why I'm open to other alternatives, and opinions by people who actually deal with these operations long after the hunting season is over.

I too am a land owner with a small piece of land with some prime turkey and deer habitat. 35 acres is enough for myself, but not much more. A local outfitter who has their own property thinks nothing of trespassing with his clients. He would rather ask for forgiveness than permission. A couple of years ago, he and his party were using dogs to start their mountain lion hunt on private property. It continued through my private property and near homes. A pissed off lion chased by dogs is a recipe for disaster to an unsuspecting homeowner. He has also directed his big game clients onto private property because he thought the owners weren't home and wouldn't find out. His idea of a successful hunt is filling a tag by any means ethical or not. That's the type of outfit I want to avoid.

Again, I appreciate your time and insight.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10