Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by TSIBINDI
FWIW: In 1988 I executed my first of 24 trips to Africa. My rifle(s) of choice: Pre '64 Model 70's. Light rifle: .270win/150gr Nosler Partitions for plains game/leopard. Dangerous game rifle: Custom pre '64 Model 70 .416 Taylor with 25" bbl shooting 400gr Jack Carter original bullets, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft points, and Trophy Bonded Sledge Hammer FMJ. Velocity for this rifle was originally 2400fps with both bullets. Ultimately, I reduced the load to average velocity of 2350fps. The reduction in velocity improved the accuracy shooting both SP, and FMJ bullets. (The reduction in velocity had nothing to do with pressure, or extraction problems.) The .416 Taylor" behaved" perfectly in all conditions, and temps (85F-100F) This rifle/caliber successfully accounted for nine buffalo, eleven elephant, one lion, one hippo, and more plains game than I can recall.
Mooshoo, if you're looking for a forty caliber rifle in today's world, there are several other choices which will be sufficient for big bears, or any of the African DG. But, if you're keen on the Taylor, go for it. As an aside; South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe customs never gave me any grief regarding my wildcat ammo.
When I began planning for my safari in 1987, there were not many choices in forty caliber rifles. Remington had not introduced their cartridge, and I certainly couldn't afford a Rigby, so I concluded a custom forty was the way to proceed. That decision was quite fortuitous. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Sir,
That is the most badass review of the 416 Taylor I've ever read..

By far superior to listening to pages of drivel/
suckup from gunwriters on sponsored hunts.

Re: action length- does matter to some . IIRC
Phil Shoemaker and WDM Bell wrote they prefer a
shorter action to magnum length., but folks are free
to consider them inexperienced or their views trivial.

If anyone here has done fast close shooting on DG
where buck stops with you - with the frequency they
have , please share.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.