MH,

POI shift with and without a brake depends on the brake and the barrel, but usually doesn't change much, IME. You'll have to check and see how POI compares for your rifle. The benefits of using a brake obviously include reduced recoil, but IMO even more important is that your ability to stay on target through the scope is increased (i.e., you can spot your shot easier). The downside is increased muzzle blast. For a hunting rifle, if you want to use a brake you had better be sure that you and anybody you're with has hearing protection. Once when I was guiding a caribou hunter who had brought a Rifles, Inc. chambered in 7 STW with a radial brake, we got settled on some bulls at about 180 yards and there was a hummock right in front of us. I had the hunter go prone over his pack on the hummock, while I laid beside him watching the bulls through my bino. I told him which bull to shoot and gave him the green light, and all of a sudden my near-side ear was struck by lightning. Well, sort of. He had repositioned and moved backward a bit so that the muzzle of his rifle was even with my head and about 2 feet to the side. I'm sure the blast from that braked 7 STW caused some degree of permanent hearing damage in that ear.

Bottom line, if you're hunting with it and don't plan to be really diligent about hearing protection, I'd run the brake in the off-season when practicing, but would take it off when hunting. Just check POI with and without the brake, and re-zero accordingly.