Originally Posted by boatanchor

I love brakes in the right situation, like to go without them in other situations...........for example if I am coyote hunting I would never take a braked rifle because I don't wear hearing protection. when I am hunting prairie dogs or rock chucks most of my rifles are braked because I love spotting my own shot and it is not possible with a gun bigger than a 223 and hearing protection is always on................Big Game is a different story, depends on the situation, If I know it's going to be a really long shot I will take a braked rifle, If not I will take un braked rifle.........this is why a man needs many rifles to choose from !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the comments BoatAnchor. I shot my rifle for the first time today, and didn't use the brake. Perhaps when I'm older, I might consider using one. But the 6.5-300 just doesn't kick hard enough in the rifle to bother me. If I wasn't worried about the extra length, I might consider a can. Don't they reduce both recoil and noise? If so, that would be nice, but it also seems like a lot of trouble. Without the brake, I still has able to see through the scope the huge ball of flame coming out of the end of the barrel each time I pulled the trigger.