Heaven Hill (the distillery of Evan Williams) is quite capable of producing some excellent whiskey. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is consistently very good. I really like Rittenhouse and Pikesville Rye, (both Heaven Hill products). Evan Williams Bottled in Bond is a great value and has been a staple of mine for the past couple years. Larceny is their wheated bourbon (wheat is the secondary grain to corn) and over the years I've liked that too but - - - - my last bottle of it was a real stinker. Something was terribly off about it and it was not to their typical taste profile. It had a nasty, moldy corn, dusty peanut funk to it. If that was my first bottle of it, I'd swear off of it forever. I heard someone say they found the same flaw in a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch.

This suggests to me that Heaven Hill either has quality control issues, or, is knowingly dumping flawed barrels/batches that should be discarded into their lower shelf products to stretch inventory and meet production demands. Either is totally unacceptable. It will be a long while before I'll try another Larceny. I'm guessing they got a bad batch of corn. It should have been caught and discarded. There is just no excuse for Heaven Hill to put out such flawed whiskey.