DupePA: The first day (February 2,003) I took my heavy Ruger 77/17 HMR V/T to the range, I was stunned by its accuracy!
Literally stunned - as I had been shooting rimfire Rifles of all calibers for right at 50 years by then and this Rifles accuracy was NOTEWORTHY in my opinion.
I have posted about this many times in the past on this forum and others.
First of all I had the good sense to strap on plenty of scope power (Weaver 4 to 16 power variable) and then I waited for a dead calm day to test my then brand new Rifle.
All four groups (5 shots apiece at 100 yards!) were WELL under 1.00"!
And for the first time ever with a rimfire Rifle I made a true 1/2" grouping at 100 yards.
One of those 5 shot groups I made with Hunting type ammunition at 100 yards measured .502"!
Any... and I repeat ANY, moving air, will play hell with rimfire bullets that are travelling 300' to their target!
Again I do not know if the folks YOU refer about had enough scope power on their Rifles or if they waited for perfect conditions to test their Rifles?
I also own a pair or Ruger 77/22's that provide me with very pleasing accuracy!
One is also a heavy barrel 77/22 V/T (again with plenty of scope power to more reliably test a Rifle/ammunition combo again a Weaver V-16) and the other is a Ruger 77/22 All Weather (boat paddle).
I have NO complaints what so ever with any of my Ruger 77 rimfires.
As another testament to the Ruger 77/17 HMR I now have at least 42,000 (forty two thousand!) rounds down it's barrel and I have not noticed any accuracy diminishment to date!
I have babied that barrel and when the Rifle was new "we" did NOT know how often to clean it - so I chose to clean it every box of bullets (50 rounds) then after a few years I went to cleaning it (carefully with the proper rods, jags and bore guides) every 100 rounds - over the last several years I have moved out my cleaning interval to every 250 rounds (5 boxes).
I am NOT saying "I" am a better shooter than you or your quoted friends but I am a patient and properly equipped shooter looking for accuracy - this includes waiting for the best conditions.
I will add this - I am aghast at the prices that Ruger 77 rimfire Rifles are commanding these days - I would like to buy some more!
I have two friends who own Ruger 77/22 Magnum V/T Rifles and they are VERY pleased with their accuracy and performance in the Ground Squirrel Colonies!
I have shot these Rifles and they are a pleasure to shoot with their excellent triggers (may have been worked on?) and their superb magazine systems.
I contend that YOUR blanket contention that Ruger 77 rimfires are "Turkeys" is unwarranted.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Ask me about my Ruger 77/17 Hornet and how happy I am with it when you get some time.
And this - I have shot along side a couple of friends with Ruger 77/17 WSM's and they performed very well also.