Bought and sold at least a dozen 77/22 rifles. Pretty much the same scenario why they were for sale, the owners said they were not accurate. I guess they thought they were buying a bench rest competition rifle. I would check them all over and shoot them at the range. The triggers on three of them were replaced with a Timney, one had a bolt shimmed, the others left as is. I determined operator error and not trying different ammo was probably the biggest cause of the issues.

I told the buyers if they were not satisfied with the accuracy, bring it back for a range test with them present. If the results are not to their standards, I would buy back. Two guys took me up on the offer. They shot a group, I shot a group and my Niece shot a group. In each case my Niece out shot us. The guys left with the guns.

Several years ago, I bought this 77/22 at the LGS and remains the most accurate of the ones owned. Did not do any modifications to it, just determined what ammo it preferred. Not gilt edge competition target shooter, but accurate for plinking and taking care of varmints and small game.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime