mart,

The LabRadar will read handgun bullets fine; there's a setting for them.

But it won't read rifle velocities above about 3900 fps, and rifles calibers below .22. Or that's what the instructions claim. I found them to be correct--except for the caliber. The LabRadar reads bullet by bouncing off the flat rear end of the bullet. I liked mine a lot--until it wouldn't read Hornady A-Tip 6mm bullets, which I was shooting for a magazine assignment, apparently because they have such a tapered boattail that the rear end was too small. Luckily, I had a skyscreen chronograph along as well, so didn't have to make another range trip to get the info.

I also sometimes chronograph loads faster than 3900 fps, and as the instructions state, it did not work with those.

If everything you plan to chronograph is within those specs, it works very well. But I would also advise you to buy the rechargeable battery pack, as unlike all my other chronographs (including the Oehler 35P) it doesn't use a single 9-volt battery, but several AA batteries, which don't last all that long.

I sold my LabRadar after the 6mm A-Tip experience, but as noted above would buy another if they ever solve the limitations.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck