Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I pretty much agree with the above: Oehler 35 or 35P, especially if you shoot at a private range where there's no problem setting it up.

If you mostly or totally shoot at a public range where setting a chronograph in front of the benches is a problem (and maybe even against the rules) I would go with a Magnetospeed. Due to being mounted on the muzzle-end of the barre, they do tend to the change point-of-impact and accuracy, often a LOT on sporter-weight barrels, but they can also be set up off the barrel in various ways.

John, I have read this before, and it does make sense. I do not mind POI shift, but I do like to shoot over a chronograph while working up loads. In your experience would you say the Magnetospeed will negatively affect group size? It seems to me if one is careful to not shift the unit on the barrel group size will be unaffected. Or does it mess so badly with the barrel harminics that it actually may? Would be interesting to knw if anybody has done a test with a "proven performer" in a particular rifle, then hung a Magnetospeed on the end and see if group size changes.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.