Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by bbassi
What's some of the tricks for shooting these lightweights well?

Range time

Well, maybe. It doesn't matter how much range time you get though, if you aren't developing good technique. And that is the key with shooting anything well.

I know from experience even a 14 lb smallbore match rifle will show up issues with your technique. Even as simple a thing as letting the buttplate drift out on your shoulder between shots will show on the target. Light rifles will tend to show the effect of technique more though, in my experience, and you are contending not only with the fact that they'll wobble more when you are trying to hold steady, but also the fact that they jump more. These are some of the reasons we'll usually shoot matches with something as heavy as the rules will allow.

For hunting though, I like a light rifle, and it has been my experience that there are specific aspects of technique, particularly the way you hold them, that have really quite a noticeable effect on accuracy with these light rifles. Get it right though and, like others, I've found that you can get really good accuracy and, more to the point, confidently reach out and kill critters.

Which is all stuff you learn with range time.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee