Shooting pencil barrel rifles at long range really improved my shooting. I usually go bipod and rear bag and a light trigger and consistent hold are critical. I always hold the forearm and don't just leave that hand free or put it back by the bag. Also make sure the sling stud isn't dragging on the rear bag. The light trigger is a must or you will move the light gun when you fire. Nothing worse than a 6 pound trigger on a 5 pound rifle.

Load development with lighter barrels is more critical too. You have to find that node with a temp stable powder and then find the center of it because the node isn't usually very wide with a light whippy barrel. Shorter barrels are better when light.

I had an Fclass shooter next to me at the range last fall as I was finishing up load work up with a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6mm Creedmoor just before the deer hunt. He couldn't believe it when he saw my last 3 groups at 100 yards with a 5 pound rifle off of a Harris bipod and rear bag. Two groups of 3 were right at 1/4 moa and the third was just under 1/2. He said that last group sure went to crap. I said yes round 9 started to walk up a bit, I guess I should have let it cool between groups a bit more.

I don't always shoot that well with light rifles but I was in the zone that day. I killed a little buck with it at 450 the next day. Bullet went exactly where I wanted it even though I was resting on a big flat top rr tie sized fence post.

My old first gen 700 Ti in 30-06 taught me to shoot light rifles.

Bb