I've had a pair of Leki's for 15 years or more that I like for trail hiking. Mine are aluminum, or some metal, and I used them on week long hunts a few times. Using sticks on downhill keeps my knee pain from developing.

For hunting I have come back to wood, however. Wood is quieter when I bang it on things as I am prone to do, and my homemade sticks are not much loss if I go off and leave one after a calling stand or break for lunch, etc. ( I doubled back 3 miles to retrieve my Lekis one time, 6 miles return).

In the PNW, wild hazelnut is my best source of straight strong walking sticks. I have shot several critters off of my walking stick as as steady, plus for the past ten years or so I really need a stick for stable walking on uneven ground. After eye surgeries I prefer a long stick to touch things and confirm depth perception, so I like a stick that is 6 feet long, to reach well down on steep ground.

I used to just pick up a stick but good ones are scarce sometimes so I have taken to bringing good ones home. Plus at several local trail heads and hunt spots I have a stick propped behind a tree, ready for my next jaunt at that place.