Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

How much do you weigh and will the hills be steep or rocky?

Meat packing, I might go with aluminum for the sake of an extra heavy load might snap an ultralight carbon fiber set.

I'

Sounds like you really load 'em up Happy. Just curious, have you ever snapped one? I mean just under the weight of the load, not getting it down between two rocks?

Sorry this thread slipped my mind and didn't check back sooner. Speaking of slipping, the twist locks on some have reported slippage under heavy loads. I have that kind and it only happened once. It took almost half an hour to carefully take the section apart, clean it and reassemble. It worked ever since. I think most get frustrated and replace them if that happens. That said, the clip lock version seems preferred in the reviews.
I've got an REI Branded Komperdell made set that's one of the lightest of the carbon fiber. They really aren't intended for heavy loads, but have been pushed and held up so far. I always wince when they drop between a section of loose rocks. Then I'm reminded to carry them until the trail clears up.

That said, I would probably opt for and put up with the vibration of aluminum poles for heavier loads on longer distance hunts. They are also best for those rocky areas and stream crossings. It just makes sense to take less risk when you really must depend on them for those occasional elk hunts.
My hunting style is local now, so it's not been an issue lately.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 05/11/21.