Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Originally Posted by Calhoun
On 1899's : After 1937 will be a crap shoot. There's a gap after November, 1937 where you'll probably only get a ship date - no model, no cartridge, no destination.
I thought rifles from about 371,200 to 400,000 could not be lettered at all. So there is ship date info for all of them them in that range?
From my Callahan letter: "The last listed serial number, just prior to the gap is 371200. That rifle was made in November, 1937. After this, Savage devoted practically the entire plant to WWII contracts. Because of the intensity of this work, the limited sporting arms production was done as conveniently and as simply as possible. This of course meant that the serial records also were simplified by only listing the shipping order number only in most cases."

So there is a ledger entry, but it only has a shipping order number. If they can find the shipping order, they can tell you a ship date. Even if they can't find it, they can probably give you a date range. Like my 1945 rifle, all he was able to say was it shipped in mid-1945. I can't make any promises for what Cody might do in that case, obviously.

Last edited by Calhoun; 04/01/21.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com