Well, I'll add on the Cody factory letter that I got back. Matches the rifle, except the ledger apparently doesn't note that it's a half-octagon rifle.

Notice they don't confirm it's a 303 Savage? That's because early ledgers don't record if it's a 303 Savage - that was presumed to be the default. They only record if it's something other than 303 Savage. I think this is something that Callahan would have interpreted for us, but Cody doesn't. Nice to have the barrel confirmed as 24". It's not logged as a "Leader Grade" because it's about a 8-12 months too early for a Leader Grade. but it has the same features.

Another interesting thing is that it has the second style "B" checkering that is the flame checkering, but the first style "B" that has simpler fleur-de-lis by the side panels continues to show up in 1903 and is what's shown in the 1903 catalogs. Seems like they had two "B" checkering styles for a year or so in 1903.

Loggah has a similar rifle with all the features except engraving that was accepted 4 months earlier than this. Apparently Tue was backlogged.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com