Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
I would never agree to having only 5 guns.

I can see that, but threads like this are fairly common and do pop up all the time.

I think that a lot of shooters are "addicted" to owning more guns more than actually using those guns. We just like to accumulate through building, buying, trading. We (myself incl) buy more all the time but end up just using the same ones over and over. I try to keep my numbers fairly low but have been upgrading instead. I still have a couple very nice sporting rifles, I've never hunted with.

Deep down, we all know we'd be better off just owning a 1/2 dozen or so good/quality firearms and getting good with them, thus the reason these threads keep popping up. smile
Your point is well taken, especially the part about these threads being fun. At the same time I'd say they all carry an anxiety with them that at some point through whatever means, you would actually be limited to 5. I'm not trying to cause anxiety.

The OP intends to make somebody think about firearms they might leave at some remote locale in case they made it there in some dire situation, without any or many guns on their person, in their vehicle, etc. In fact, I implied you had nothing gun-wise, with you.

In my own imaginings of this scenario, I'd not want to leave my best guns at a remote cabin, even with the best security. Part of that isn't a fear of losing them, but a fear of not using them when I wanted them. ...say if your cabin was a hundred or more miles away and not something you could visit, easily and at will.

For instance, if I've got several AR's including maybe my original SP1 and a 6920, but I've also got a DPMS and/or S&W M&P15...I'm taking one of the latter two to leave at the cabin. In my mind, perfectly serviceable AR's, but maybe I've got a couple I prefer. God forbid I lose all my other guns or even my two best AR's...but either of the lower budget ones will work if I do.

Then again, some may want the absolute best at the cabin. Maybe they're rich but for some reason only want to leave 5 guns at their retreat...but those five guns are going to be THE BEST they can get.

Like the college prof said, there are no wrong answers.

...you know, unless somebody disagrees with me.

I hadn't thought about it in that sense. You make a very good there about the possibility of enforced allowable numbers of gun owned.