Originally Posted by RickyBobby
The only thing I keep thinking about is possibly the safety factor of an over/under in the fact when he’s carrying it around he can just break it open and everyone then knows he’s got a cleared safe gun. With high school kids I’d imagine they can get excited and safety possibly forgotten at times. I work with my kid a lot on the safety aspect of firearms but it never hurts to try avoiding accidents before they ever happen. Curious if I’m thinking correctly on this?

It is NOT just for safety though that is a good point.

O/U is also the gun you WANT for shooting clay sports of all kinds. They are not complicated and you can clean it right there at the range in 5 minutes. Cleaning semi autos every hundred or so rounds is a REAL hassle and then you've got the failure to feed if you use it on any of the other shooting sports where you are shooting doubles. They chuck your empties out on the ground unless you spend MORE money on a catcher. O/U you open it up and there they are. Take it out and put it in your bag and get another one to put in.

Go WATCH people shoot on a club trap range for and hour. There is a reason they do what they do and use what they use.

You don't have to spend big sums to get a decent entry level O/U trap gun. Not to say this is the BEST, just that it is one. I looked them over good and I liked the Weatherby Orion with an adjustable stock for instance. About $1000.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022